Quest For The Gold Of Timbuktu

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 2009 - 07:09:36 CST

    On Thursday evening, 29 October 2009, I was watching television here in England, on the Freeview platform. At about 10:50 pm I did some channel surfing as to what was on.

    On the Quest channel, I found some people unwrapping ancient books from cloth wrappers. Later there was a sequence in a library where ancient books are being conserved. I think, but am not congruently sure, that the books were being unwrapped in Mali, as a comment something like "Maybe this is the gold of Timbuktu" was made about the books.

    Shortly afterwards the programme locale moved to Morocco.

    The television programme was called Quest For The Gold Of Timbuktu.

    Earlier today I had a look at http://www.freeview.co.uk and found a link for the Quest channel.

    http://www.questtv.co.uk

    Moving to the http://www.questtv.co.uk/programmes page, I found a link to the following page.

    http://www.questtv.co.uk/programmes/quest-into-the-unknown

    It lists the programme as being broadcast at various times.

    I then checked the listings for tomorrow, Saturday, and found that Quest For The Gold Of Timbuktu is due to be broadcast at 6pm for one hour.

    quote

    Quest For The Gold Of Timbuktu

    Legend has it that Timbuktu was once a "City of Gold". Adventurer Josh Bernstein journeys deep into the Sahara desert to find out the truth behind the compelling myth.

    quote

    From the http://www.questtv.co.uk/how_to_get_quest web page, it appears that the Quest channel is available as follows.

    Quest is available on Freeview Channel 38.

    Quest is available on Sky Channel 167.

    This post as it stands will perhaps mostly be of interest to some readers in the United Kingdom. However, maybe the programme will be shown in other countries at other times. Also, maybe someone on this list will know of the library where the conservation is taking place and will post some information please.

    Anyway, I hope that this post is of interest.

    William Overington