Re: Standartising search for similar symbols

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Nov 15 2009 - 03:42:08 CST

    Den 2009-11-13 20.20, skrev "Mark Crispin" <mrc+unicode@panda.com>:

    > If the text editor uses i;unicode-casemap (RFC 5051) for its search, it
    > will find both. This is because U+2212 decomposes to U+002D.

    Not sure what you mean by that; Unicode has no such decomposition,
    and should have no such decomposition:
    2212;MINUS SIGN;Sm;0;ES;;;;;N;;;;;

    I would not be surprised if some text editors has some "smarts" that
    map in the other direction ("this hyphen-minus seems to actually
    be a minus, mapping..."), akin to "smart quotes". But that is not
    driven by a formal Unicode property.

    Some character encoding converters may map a MINUS to a HYPHEN-MINUS
    as a fallback. But when misapplied, which happens, that is quite
    annoying.

        /kent k