Re: Standartising search for similar symbols

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Nov 14 2009 - 21:28:16 CST

    "sergey" <sergey dash feo at yandex dot ru> wrote:

    > Neil, it is exactly what I want! File
    > http://unicode.org/reports/tr39/data/confusables.txt can be used to
    > implement search with similar symbols matching. Now I can send feature
    > requests to developers of my favorite text editors :-)

    Don't let me stop you, but I predict that developers who take on this
    challenge will quickly find themselves stuck between:

    ROCK: Many uppercase letters that are "identical" or "similar" across
    scripts, such as Latin B and Greek Β and Cyrillic В, turn out to be
    dramatically different in lowercase: b, β, в.

    HARD PLACE: Users of text editors expect searching and replacing
    functions to have an "ignore case" option.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­