Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 22:49:31 CST

    Andrew West <andrewcwest at gmail dot com> wrote:

    > In principle this mechanism does work with Latin text. For example,
    > the Code2000 font implements a number of common ligatures which are
    > triggered by means of ZWJ, e.g. <s+ZWJ+t> produces the "st" ligature.
    > An alternative implementation might automatically generate an "st"
    > ligature whenever "t" follows "s" unless broken by ZWNJ.

    Then there are fonts like the DejaVu family, which (on my machine,
    running BabelPad) display "fi" as a ligature by default, but break the
    ligature when either ZWJ *or* ZWNJ is inserted between the "f" and the
    "i".

    Moral: Always try something like this with multiple well-designed fonts
    before concluding that the problem is with the rendering engine or with
    Unicode.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­