Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 10:51:26 CST

    Doug Ewell wrote:
    > Then there are fonts like the DejaVu family, which (on my machine,
    > running BabelPad) display "fi" as a ligature by default, but break the
    > ligature when either ZWJ *or* ZWNJ is inserted between the "f" and the
    > "i".

    This is another example of my mantra that what matters is the
    combination of the layout engine and the font. If you were to try this
    font with the flash.text.engine in Flash Player 10, you would get what
    you expect: "f ZWJ i" ligates regardless of the styling (i.e. even if
    the styling asks for no ligatures; the ZWJ takes precedence over
    styling), "f ZWNJ i" does not ligate regardless of the styling, and "f
    i" ligates or not depending on the styling. While it certainly takes
    some support in the font (having a ligature, and exposing it somehow),
    layout engines are in the business of interpreting the characters and
    driving the font appropriately. What matters is the aggregate.

    Eric.