Nonspacing marks and the no-break space

From: Andreas Prilop (prilop4321@trashmail.net)
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 07:58:35 CST

    Sections 2.11 and 7.9 of the Unicode Standard state that
    nonspacing combining marks shall be combined with the
    no-break space U+00A0 in order to show them in isolation.

    Internet Explorer 7 did so for HTML documents.

    It seems to me that Internet Explorer 8 does not combine
    the no-break space (written  ) with (at least Arabic)
    nonspacing marks.

    I noticed a different display of the second column of
     http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/persian-alphabet.html#vowels
    in Internet Explorer 8 depending on whether "Compatibility View"
    is selected or not.

    Can you confirm this behaviour and perhaps give an explanation?