Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 12 2009 - 04:39:16 CST

    On Thursday 10 December 2009, verdy_p <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > If you want to see an example of
    > texts with medieval ligatures requested by ZWJ (instead of
    > using the legacy but too
    > limtied preencoded compatibility ligatures, here is an
    > example:
    >
    > http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Traitt%C3%A9_du_jeu_royal_des_%C3%A9chets_(Benjamin_Asperling_de_Rarogne)/Livre_Premie

    Thank you for your post.

    The link did not work directly from the email, but by building it up in WordPad and then using copy and then pasting into the Firefox browser I managed to access the page.

    I copied some of the text from that page into WordPad and then formatted it at 24 point using my Quest Text font, which font has a wide glyph for ZWJ, the uses of ZWJ thus being displayed quite prominently.

    However, there was a strange phenomenon that, at the time of writing this post, I do not understand.

    For the long s t ligature there is the ZWJ version followed by the precomposed ligature for long s t.

    For the long s long s i ligature there is the ZWJ version followed by the ordinary letters without any use of ZWJ for long s long s i.

    For the long s long s ligature there is the ZWJ version followed by the ordinary letters without any use of ZWJ for long s long s.

    For the long s i ligature there is the ZWJ version followed by the ordinary letters without any use of ZWJ for long s i.

    For the ff ligature there is the ZWJ version followed by the precomposed ligature for ff.

    The Quest Text font is available as a free download from the following link.

    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/QUESTTXT.TTF

    William Overington