Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: verdy_p (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 03:29:58 CST

    Wikimedia sites (such as Wikisource here) don't want to use PUAs. They must work with regular browsers and fonts,
    and must be compliant with Unicode as much as possible.

    A better solution (instead of generating two versions for some preencoded ligatures that confuses your external
    editor which ignores the CSS "display:none" attribute) would be to use Javascript to create the substitutions, this
    could possibly come later.

    > Message du 14/12/09 10:23
    > De : "William_J_G Overington"
    > A : "verdy_p"
    > Copie à : "Unicode Mailing List"
    > Objet : Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA
    >

    > On Saturday 12 December 2009, verdy_p wrote:
    >
    > > I wonder if there are ways to improve the rendering of
    > > ligatures.
    >
    > and later
    >
    > > But it was decided to *NOT* use any PUA for medieval
    > > ligatures. The best that can be generated with the current
    > > state of Unicode and CSS and fonts/browsers support is used
    > > (that's why templates are used that may be changed later
    > > to improve the encoding and rendering, if this becomes
    > > possible, without having to respell the texts completely).
    >
    > Would it help if some precomposed ligatures were included into regular Unicode?
    >
    > I am thinking that if they could be defined in plane 14, perhaps as semi-deprecated characters not to be used for
    interchange and not having decompositions defined yet available so that displays could be more easily produced, then
    maybe that would resolve the problem without causing any problems over producing other problems elsewhere.