Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 03:37:18 CST

    If they are not used for interchange (wikisource sending you data to display
    on your screen is interchange already!), how would they faciliate correct
    display, as compared to the status quo?

    Please note, but I'm sure you frequenting font design forums know, that in
    modern fonts glyphs don't need to have actual unicode (or any other
    [external] encoding) codepoint assigned.

    /Sz

    On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:48 AM, William_J_G Overington <
    wjgo_10009@btinternet.com> wrote:

    > On Saturday 12 December 2009, verdy_p <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    >
    > > I wonder if there are ways to improve the rendering of
    > > ligatures.
    >
    > and later
    >
    > > But it was decided to *NOT* use any PUA for medieval
    > > ligatures. The best that can be generated with the current
    > > state of Unicode and CSS and fonts/browsers support is used
    > > (that's why templates are used that may be changed later
    > > to improve the encoding and rendering, if this becomes
    > > possible, without having to respell the texts completely).
    >
    > Would it help if some precomposed ligatures were included into regular
    > Unicode?
    >
    > I am thinking that if they could be defined in plane 14, perhaps as
    > semi-deprecated characters not to be used for interchange and not having
    > decompositions defined yet available so that displays could be more easily
    > produced, then maybe that would resolve the problem without causing any
    > problems over producing other problems elsewhere.
    >
    > William Overington

    Szelp, André Szabolcs
    +43 (650) 79 22 400