Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 12:59:29 CST

    On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:

    > From what I've read in this thread, we're dealing with a case where people
    > reproducing medieval texts can't find all the ligatures they need to
    > reproduce the visible content of the texts in the fonts they want to use.
    > If medievalists are able to send texts to one another via plain-text email
    > and understand what the text is supposed to be, then these ligatures don't
    > belong in plain text. The people to bug would be the font vendors.

    I've always wondered, why philology is preferred to diplomatics. The
    researchers studying the art of writing the employment or non-employment of
    ligatures is at least as important a plain-text distinction, as it is
    important to a philologist whether the word in question is fickle or ſickle
    (=sickle).

    /Szabolcs

    --
    Szelp, André Szabolcs