Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Leo Broukhis (leob@mailcom.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 13:11:45 CST

    On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Peter Edberg <pedberg@apple.com> wrote:
    > On Dec 14, 2009, at 10:30 AM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    >> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM, John H. Jenkins <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> And should an OS treat "My file" and "My file" as the same file name?
    >>
    >> This problem is with us already (on Apple systems, of all things).
    >> MacOS X decomposes Cyrillic Й and Ё in file names and treats файл and
    >> файл as the same file name
    >
    > Which seems appropriate, since they are canonically equivalent.
    >
    >> Windows and Linux don't.
    >
    > So the question is, why not?

    A file system is a map of tuples of "short" strings of non-zero,
    non-solidus bytes to potentially long strings of arbitrary bytes. Why
    should there be any storage-level assumption about the text property
    of any of these strings?

    My primary point was that "And should an OS treat "My file" and "My
    file" as the same file name?" had been answered already, at least in
    MacOS X.

    Leo