Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 07:28:16 CST

    Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai at in dash nomine dot org> wrote:

    > Actually ij is unbreakable from a language point of view. You cannot
    > hyphenate any words using it like blijdschap into bli-jdschap.

    I'm not sure this particular argument proves what you want it to prove.
    In English you cannot insert a hyphen between the T and H in "bother,"
    or between the S and H in "fishing." But that says nothing about
    whether the two characters are considered a single letter in English, or
    whether they should or must be written as a ligature. Your other
    arguments are more convincing.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­