Re: [unicode] Re: Is there a Japanese character for the word Unicode? (from Re: Unicode Haiku Contest)

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Fri Dec 18 2009 - 12:44:41 CST

    Hi,

    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:51:26 -0700
    "John H. Jenkins" <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:
    >On Dec 18, 2009, at 8:03 AM, verdy_p wrote:
    >> So is it really "$B%f%K%3!<%I(B" with a single long vowel
    >>(as in the "What is Unicode?" page) or "$B%f%K!<%3!<%I(B"
    >>with two long vowels ?
    >
    >Given the fact that English speakers are divided on the same issue,
    >the answer is "yes." :-)

    To translate "Unicode", "$B%f%K%3!<%I(B" (single long vowel)
    is popular. I've never seen "$B%f%K!<%3!<%I(B".

    I think Google translator has a dictionary of some popular
    Katakana keywords and original English words, and it is
    not based on any systematic transliteration rules.

    Often Japanese translation of imported words by Katakana
    does not follow the best transcription of the original
    pronunciation.

    For example, popular American pronunciation of "baseball"
    would be described as "$B%Y%$%9%\!<%k(B", but Google translator
    cannot translate it to "baseball". Google translater can
    translate "$B%Y!<%9%\!<%k(B", which is the popular Katakana
    translation of baseball, but the pronunciation is different.

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki