Re: Is there a Japanese character for the word Unicode? (from Re: Unicode Haiku Contest)

From: Charlie Ruland ☘ (ruland@luckymail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 13:54:22 CST

    Thomas Chan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would suggest U+26100
    > (http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=26100&useutf8=falsen
    >
    > It fulfills the conditions of:
    >
    > - writing a "foreign" word
    >
    > - not using multiple katakanas (the usual Japanese practice)
    >
    > - not using multiple Han characters (the usual Chinese practice)
    >
    > - doesn't require any additional Han character to be added to Unicode

    Please consider that this character is only usable in traditional
    Chinese. Users of simplified Chinese might want an additional hànzì to
    be added to Unicode: the simplified equivalent, composed of 纟
    (simplified ‘silk’ radical, on the left) and 马 (simplified ‘horse’, on
    the right).

    > It requires making use of an extremely rare character creation process
    > in Chinese, which takes a multisyllable word and retains only the first
    > part of the first character and the last part of the last character. If
    > this is applied to one of the Chinese words for 'Unicode', tongyima ya,
    > we get U+26100. U+26100 could still retain the reading "tongyima" in
    > Mandarin Chinese (although inevitably readers will reduce it to
    > monosyllabic "ma").

    Very good! This reminds me of cases like 哩 for 英里 yīnglǐ (English
    mile) and 浬 for 𣳠里 hǎilǐ (sea mile) [from 里 lǐ = Chinese mile =
    500m]. Both characters were originally pronounced with two syllables
    like their compound forms, but then came to be pronounced lǐ, at least
    alternatively.

    > U+26100 could then be borrowed from Chinese into
    > Japanese, whereupon it gains the "kun" reading of "yuunikoodo" (unusual,
    > but it has happened before where a "kun" reading was of "foreign" origin
    > rather than native Japanese).
    >
    > It appears that this character is currently not used in Chinese nor
    > Japanese--only in (former) Vietnamese--so there are no "clashes". (Could
    > someone read the Vietnamese meaning from
    > http://nomfoundation.org/index.php?IDcat=515&codepoint=26100

    Unfortunately I don’t know Vietnamese so ‘mã, như "mũ mã, đồ mã, vàng
    mã"’ doesn’t tell me anything.

    Charlie

    --
    Charlie • 查理 • चार्ली • Чарли • تشارلي