Is there a Japanese character for the word Unicode? (from Re: Unicode Haiku Contest)

From: Thomas Chan (thschan@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 12:29:28 CST

    Hi,   I would suggest U+26100 (http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=26100&useutf8=false It fulfills the conditions of: - writing a "foreign" word - not using multiple katakanas (the usual Japanese practice) - not using multiple Han characters (the usual Chinese practice) - doesn't require any additional Han character to be added to Unicode   It requires making use of an extremely rare character creation process in Chinese, which takes a multisyllable word and retains only the first part of the first character and the last part of the last character. If this is applied to one of the Chinese words for 'Unicode', tongyima ya, we get U+26100. U+26100 could still retain the reading "tongyima" in Mandarin Chinese (although inevitably readers will reduce it to monosyllabic "ma"). U+26100 could then be borrowed from Chinese into Japanese, whereupon it gains the "kun" reading of "yuunikoodo" (unusual, but it has happened before where a "kun" reading was of "foreign" origin rather than native Japanese).   It appears that this character is currently not used in Chinese nor Japanese--only in (former) Vietnamese--so there are no "clashes". (Could someone read the Vietnamese meaning from http://nomfoundation.org/index.php?IDcat=515&codepoint=26100    --Thomas Chan ________________________________ From: Charlie Ruland ☘ <ruland@luckymail.com> To: Unicode ML <unicode@unicode.org> Sent: Mon, December 21, 2009 9:28:46 AM Subject: Re: Is there a Japanese character for the word Unicode? (from Re: Unicode Haiku Contest) I don’t consider it necessary to devise a new kanji to mean ‘Unicode’. Why not use an existing though yet uncommon one like 𣁁? <http://www.unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=23041> Its composition is fairly straightforward: on top, 人 (human) — at the bottom, 文 (script): ‘Man’s scripts’. Other suggestions are most welcome ;-) Happy Solstice, Charlie William_J_G Overington wrote: > [...] > > I was wondering if a new character to mean Unicode could be devised from something like "writing that travels along wires" or maybe some other derivation. > > Any ideas? > > [...] -- Charlie • 查理 • चार्ली • Чарли • تشارلي チャーリー • 찰리 • Τσάρλι • צ׳ארלי He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. — Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher (1844–1900)