Re: Is there a Japanese character for the word Unicode? (from Re: Unicode Haiku Contest)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 21:56:15 CST

    "Charlie Ruland ☘" <ruland at luckymail dot com> wrote:

    >> In any event, I'm not sure what practical advantage there would be to
    >> having a single sinogram meaning "Unicode."
    >>
    > Well, what’s the practical advantage of making up con-scripts?
    > Probably play as a gratifying way to discover how the world works.

    Something like that. I suppose creating an alphabetic script helped me
    discover how ligatures and combining marks work, 10 years before Unicode
    1.0 introduced me to those terms.

    But the resident experts appear to be telling us that inventing a new
    Han character for a new monosyllabic word for a technological concept is
    *not* how the world works.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­