Vertical line(s) below

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Dec 28 2009 - 04:28:48 CST

    In Sinological notation, U+0329 COMBINING VERTICAL LINE BELOW seems to be used for syllabicity, as it is in IPA; either [ɹ] or [z] can be marked with it [ɹ̩] or [z̩] to show what is written in Pinyin as "er". I have here a notation for A-Hmao, however which contrasts this with U+0348 COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL LINE BELOW [ɹ͈] or [z͈], which as I recall was added for support of Disturbed Speech (IPA "strong articulation").

    Does the latter have a different meaning in Sinological notation?