Re: Vertical line(s) below

From: Christopher Miller (
Date: Thu Dec 31 2009 - 18:55:25 CST

  • Next message: Doug Ewell: "Re: Filtering and displaying untrusted UTF-8"

    Have you thought of asking your question on LINGUIST list? You might have a better chance of reaching someone able to answer your question there.

    On 2009-12-28, at 5:28 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

    > In Sinological notation, U+0329 COMBINING VERTICAL LINE BELOW seems to be used for syllabicity, as it is in IPA; either [ɹ] or [z] can be marked with it [ɹ̩] or [z̩] to show what is written in Pinyin as "er". I have here a notation for A-Hmao, however which contrasts this with U+0348 COMBINING DOUBLE VERTICAL LINE BELOW [ɹ͈] or [z͈], which as I recall was added for support of Disturbed Speech (IPA "strong articulation").
    > Does the latter have a different meaning in Sinological notation?

    Christopher Miller
    Montreal QC Canada

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Thu Dec 31 2009 - 19:00:22 CST