Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 17:28:51 CST

    Am Sonntag, 3. Januar 2010 um 22:23 schrieb Kent Karlsson:

    >> http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC35/WG1/docs/info1-9995-3.pdf
    >> The revision of ISO/IEC 9995-3 ...
    >> "4 shift states" is not compatible with the group/level concept of

    KK> I'm surprised that the new draft standard does not have 4 levels but sticks
    KK> with the outdated 3 levels the old version had...

    Please do not mix "shift states" with "levels", although these
    concepts seem interchangeable as long as no more than 3 levels are
    to be considered.

    "Level" roughly resemble rows on a keytop while "groups" roughly
    resemble columns.
    E.g., the new Finnish standard keyboard (SFS 5966, see:
    http://www.sfs.fi/ajankohtaista/tiedotteet/20081125141224.html ),
    has 4 shift states (unshifted, shifted, AltGr unshifted, AltGr shifted),
    which in ISO/IEC 9995 terms are 2 groups with 2 levels each.
    (btw, this is something the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator V1.4
     can handle, while afaik it cannot handle the applying of multiple
     diacritics for Vietnamese characters.)

    In fact, ISO/IEC 9995 allows, as an exception, the Level 3 characters
    to be displayed on the right lower corner on the keytop when there is
    only one group. This is due to historical reasons, like for historical
    reasons there are precomposed characters in Unicode.

    KK> And (still, though changed) the "common second group". Thanks, but no
    KK> thanks.

    Of course, nobody excepts everybody to like everything; nevertheless I
    miss any argument in your statement.

    - Karl