Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 14:44:48 CST

    Kent,

    With all due respect to Karl and Alain and anyone else involved in
    that ISO keyboard standard, there's just really no point in arguing
    with them. They use this weird terminology that doesn't fit with the
    real world, and I guess they hope that their standard will get rid of
    what they claim to be "unergonomic" keyboards in favour of what's in
    their standard.

    I've never fathomed it.

    I use Plain, Shift, Option (Alt if you prefer), and Shift-Option as my
    main states (there are some other states, like Command and Control),
    and I use deadkeys to do other things. I have for years, and I plan to
    do so in future, too. And I don't intend to change my terminology for
    the ISO one because the ISO one isn't, in this case, any better. It's
    just more confusing since it has little to do with reality.