Re: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 02:56:43 CST

    Along the lines of Charlie's explanation below, I implemented a Korean
    input method more than ten years ago in the application framework ET++.
    (I gave a presentation about that at the 6th Unicode Implementers
    Workshop in San Jose in 1994.)

    If you for example typed the letters "hana", then at the point you had
    typed "han", it would all be one syllable, with the "n" being the final
    consonant. Then if you typed another "a", the "n" you had typed before
    would be borrowed back from the "han" syllable, that syllable therefore
    changing into "ha", resulting in overall two syllables, "ha" and "na".

    Overall, it looked somewhat funny, but I think it did the job. But I
    never had it tested with native users.

    It worked only when typing text continuously (i.e. it wasn't possible to
    'steal' a final consonant from a syllable by placing the caret just
    after that syllable). But it worked even if the application wasn't
    prepared at all for such stuff. It did that by simply sending a
    backspace character and then the two new syllables to the application.

    Regards, Martin.