Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Jan 04 2010 - 21:39:58 CST

    Karl Pentzlin <karl dash pentzlin at acssoft dot de> wrote:

    > DE> How do I access this third level using a standard 101-key
    > keyboard, if
    > DE> the FDIS leaves the mechanism undefined but suggests a new key?
    >
    > The mechanisms are defined in another part of the standard, ISO/IEC
    > 9995-2 "Alphanumeric Section":
    >
    >>> 8.3.2 Level 3 select
    >>> For keyboards with characters allocated at level 3, at least one
    >>> key for the function Level 3 select (frequently
    >>> marked "Alt Gr") shall be provided.
    >
    > AltGr, as you surely know, is found on many keyboards where the "Right
    > Alt" is found on US keyboards. Thus, on US keyboards, the "Right Alt"
    > is the first choice to employ this function (leaving the "Left Alt"
    > for the pure "Alt" function).

    OK, we are dealing with the same "group vs. level" terminology problem
    that Kent and Michael were talking about. I use AltGr and Shift+AltGr
    every day, even though the key just says "Alt" on my U.S. English
    keyboard.

    What I was trying to say, applied to the FDIS 9995-3 keyboard, was this:
    Appendix C shows a new "current common secondary Group layout" which
    includes the following key assignments for key D03 (the "E" key):

    Level 1 (unshifted): œ U+0153 latin small ligature oe
    Level 2 (shifted): ΠU+0152 latin capital ligature oe
    Level 3 (extra): ◌̆ U+0306 combining breve

    My question was how to reach the so-called "extra" level 3.

    > The "Group select" is dealt with in 8.3.3. The "dedicated key" is only
    > one of the possibilities described there.
    >
    > In fact, a "Group select" is nothing else than a "dead key", only that
    > the destination character can be any character (specified by the
    > layout), rather than being restricted to precomposed character with a
    > specific diacritical mark.
    > This "dead key" can be a dedicated new key or any free AltGr
    > combination on your US keyboard.

    OK, that makes things a lot more understandable. I can see now how to
    implement this. I just wish it had been made clear before now.

    > (It also can be the key combination "Shift+AltGr", to be released
    > before the next key pressing rather than to be pressed simultaneously;
    > this is recommended but not prescribed in 9995-2 section 8.3.3.)

    I already use plain E, Shift+E, AltGr+E, and Shift+AltGr+E. So do most
    Windows keyboards. So a fifth level -- or if you prefer, a third level
    within the second group -- needs to be something other than
    Shift+AltGr+something. If it's conformant to make this, say, AltGr+/
    followed by E, then we've got a deal.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­