Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 08:38:53 CST

    Hi, Gerrit,

    On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Gerrit Sangel <z0idberg@gmx.de> wrote:
    > Concerning this question, I always wonder why it is necessary to add layer
    > over layer over layer to these kind of keyboard layouts. Wouldn't it be
    > better if latin based keyboard layouts were something similar like Japanese?
    >
    > Type “alpha” and get α, type “Theta” and get Θ. Type “punctuation”
    > (something like the japanese “kigou”) and be able to select all different
    > punctuation and stuff. Write Hangeul and get Han’gŭl, type Pin1yin1 and get
    > Pīnyīn. Write Kyoto and get Kyōto. You could also add smart quotations
    > directly into the input method, not just in the Word processor.

    Actually, such systems do exist -- but perhaps are not sufficiently well known:

    Take a look at Yudit (http://yudit.org). This handy Unicode editor
    comes with numerous keyboard layouts of exactly the type that you are
    advocating. To the best of my knowledge, all of the keyboard maps in
    Yudit make use of just a basic QWERTY keyboard, plus the SHIFT keys.
    I believe that the vast majority of Yudit keymaps will work equally
    well with AZERTY and similar layouts too.

    The keyboard layout maps for Yudit are also so easy to make that
    anyone can do it --without the need for special software either, as
    the keyboard maps are ASCII files with hexadecimal values for the
    Unicode code values that you want. Yudit includes a tool for
    compiling the maps into the binary form (or at least this is true if
    you compile Yudit from source code, as it is an Open Source program
    released under GPL. Binaries for Windows and Mac are also available).

    For example, here's a short excerpt from a "Grand Latin" or what I
    prefer to call a "PanEuropean" keyboard layout map for Yudit:
    "a`=0x00E0",
    "a'=0x00E1",
    "a^=0x00E2",
    "a>=0x00E2",
    "a~=0x00E3",
    "a:=0x00E4",
    "a%=0x00E5",
    "a/=0x00E6",
    "c;=0x00E7",
    "e`=0x00E8",
    "e'=0x00E9",
    "e^=0x00EA",
    "e>=0x00EA",
    As you can see, the keystrokes shown to the left of the equal sign map
    to the following set of letters, respectively: àáââãäåæçèéêê. The
    fact that "e^" and "e>" both map to "ê" is just a convenience: the
    user can type whichever combination is most comfortable. (Having
    multiple options for the same output as in the case of the "â" and "ê"
    shown here may be advantageous if you have to use a computer with
    something like an AZERTY keyboard).

    In the excerpt above, note that only n-to-1 mappings are shown.
    However we are not limited to this: It is also possible to map n input
    keystrokes to a set of m output code values. A phonetically-based
    Devanagari keyboard map included with Yudit, inter alia, makes
    extensive use of that capability.

    Other systems may also exist with some of the features that you
    advocate, but to my knowledge Yudit is certainly one of the best.

    As a post-script to this, I will note that the original reason for me
    asking about Korean input methods has very much to do with the fact
    that I am now working on something related to all of this input method
    business. While what I am working on is currently "under wraps", you
    would be very correct if you guessed that I have been influenced by
    Yudit ...

    Best Wishes -- Ed Trager