Re: Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Robert Abel (freakrob@googlemail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 16:29:39 CST

    2010/01/07 19:40, verdy_p:
    > in practice, this is not even needed on a AZERTY keyboard: there's
    > already a standard dead key for the circumflex
    > (which can be typed without pressing any other key), and the ">" is located on the shifted state of the 102th key
    > (whose unshifted state is used for "<").
    >
    > For me it would seem more logical to locate a caron on the "<" key, and no neeed to add another mapping for the
    > circumflex

    But that doesn't take into consideration that this program doesn't
    directly work with keyboard output but with what's being typed through
    the layout. If you can reach ^ really fast while typing regular text on
    AZERTY, that's just dandy. I know that the German QWERTZ keyboard layout
    has the ^ key located on the top left - right under Esc, so it can't be
    reached as easily as > while typing. The >, which is next to shift on
    German QWERTZ, can be reached more quickly in my opinion, so it's good
    to have a n-to-1 mapping since different keyboard layouts have the keys
    on a different position and are therefore harder or easier to type (on
    top of the user not being used to type these sequences most of the time
    in the first place).

    Regards

    Robert