Re: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods

From: Curtis Clark (
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 23:46:35 CST

  • Next message: Jonathan Rosenne: "Most ancient Hebrew biblical inscription deciphered"

    On 2010-01-07 14:38, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
    > That's all nice and dandy, but Korean also knows a lot of ambiguous words
    > where, depending on where you end the syllable, the word means one thing or
    > the other, but you'd type them in the same way on a Latin-based keyboard.
    > Can't at the moment remember an example, but just pulling jamo left or right
    > does not always cut it. You *will* need a manual way of marking off a
    > syllable end.

    She could not think of one (Korean is her first language, but she has
    lived in the US since she was a teenager), but if you can think of an
    example, I'll pass it on.

    The way I understand it, it's not so much how a syllable ends, but
    rather that it always *starts* with either a consonant or "ㅇ". Despite
    transliterations such as "kk", those seemingly double consonants are
    entered with the shift key, not as two separate consonants. So a
    syllable break will always be between two consonants, or between a vowel
    and a consonant. The vowel-consonant combination can also occur at the
    end of a syllable, but if so, it will always be followed by a consonant
    (or "ㅇ" or space or punctuation).

    Curtis Clark        
    Director, I&IT Web Development                   +1 909 979 6371
    University Web Coordinator, Cal Poly Pomona

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Thu Jan 07 2010 - 23:48:22 CST