Re: A poem using localizable sentences

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 10:49:48 CST

    William_J_G Overington wrote:
    > The whole poem can be expressed using seventeen private use area characters.

    The whole passage ("poem" is perhaps in the eye of the beholder) can be
    expressed using one private use area character.

    It can also be expressed using 22 characters from the BMP, in such a
    manner that it can be understood by someone not to have committed such a
    bizarre mapping.

    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/sape02u.htm shows a much better
    poem in Greek, with several translations. While one can certainly pick
    up points of connection between them, it would not work with the sort of
    scheme you are proposing.

    I'm also at a loss as to why you are proposing this in the first place.
    It is possible in many ways to indicate "content based on language and
    other localisation details goes here" without defining characters to do
    so. It's conceptually much clearer to use characters for, well, characters.