Re: Greek chars encoded twice -- why?

From: Apostolos Syropoulos (ijdt.editor@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 08:21:47 CST

    2010/2/18 Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>

    > > For example, I was really surprised to learn that the uppercase form
    > > of έ (epsilontonos) is Έ (Epsioontonos) which is clearly incorrect.
    >
    > For uppercase -> lowercase conversion this is not a bad thing. It's
    > the job of the font designer to create a glyph form for Epsilontonos
    > which doesn't display the tonos.
    >

    > Yes but it is almost useless. Consider the word ΑΫΛΟΣ its lowercase form is
    άυλος,
    thus the ά <-> Ά mapping does not solve this problem, Another problem in the
    opposite direction is the correct handling of ή and uni1F22: when they are
    used
    as disjunctive they both should become Ή (Etatonos), while when they are
    used
    as ordinary letters they must become Eta.

    A.S.

    --
    Apostolos Syropoulos
    366, 28th October Str.