Re: Arabic aleph representation of glyphs

From: Khaled Hosny (khaledhosny@eglug.org)
Date: Sun Mar 07 2010 - 12:53:34 CST

    On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:46:18PM -0000, Raymond Mercier wrote:
    > >This is because the font you are using is a simplified (I say ugly) font
    > >where initial and medial forms of most letters look the same.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Khaled
    >
    > Whether the font is fine or ugly is really beside the point. In any
    > Unicode Arabic font the required component forms (isolated,initial,
    > medial, final) have to be available in the font so that the shaping
    > engine can select what it needs to write smoothly cursive script.

    There is no such requirement, you can design an Arabic font where each
    letter has only one form and it is still perfectly a "Unicode Arabic
    font" (in fact there are already such fonts).

    However the font in question, Arial here, has identical glyphs for
    initial and medial forms of most letters (isolated and final forms are
    mostly identical too).

    Regards,
     Khaled

    --