Re: canIPA worth being encoded?

From: Shriramana Sharma (samjnaa@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2010 - 03:33:25 CST

    On 2010-Mar-22 15:09, Karl Pentzlin wrote:
    > "canIPA" however, before being encoded, needs to be proven to be a
    > considerably stable system used by at least some people not directly
    > connected to its inventors.

    FWIW, I would use canIPA if I were more interested in phonetics in
    general (rather than limiting myself to Sanskrit phonetics). From what I
    can gather from the author's website, canIPA seems to be a well thought
    out system. I myself have had many problems in trying to fit Sanskrit
    phonetic description to the IPA framework, especially in not finding
    many phonetic symbols appropriate for the exact Sanskrit phonetic
    description which is available from traditional (native Indian) works
    (in Sanskrit).

    *And* the author's attitude on normative phonetics
    (http://venus.unive.it/canipa/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:faq#do_you_approve_of_normative_phonetics)
    is music to my ears because I myself (and the traditional Indian
    phoneticians of yore) have always been normative phoneticians.

    Anyway... Have these characters actually been proposed? Is anyone taking
    up this work?

    --
    Shriramana Sharma