Re: Indic diacritics (ISO 15919) in Mac OS

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2010 - 05:26:09 CST

    On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Gihan Dias <gihan@cse.mrt.ac.lk> wrote:

    > Also, the common way of transliterating from Sinhala / Tamil to Latin
    > letters (i.e., the way people send SMSs now) is different from ISO15919, and
    > we do *not* recommend using ISO15919 to transliterate from Sinhala / Tamil
    > to Latin for normal people.

    I thought about this: aa, ii, uu, ee, oo - long vowels take more space
    & A, I, U in the middle of words are inelegant. In the small mobile
    screen, ISO 15919 diacritics look nice and conserve space.

    Tamil, for example, needs only 5 simple diacritics,

    > Let's concentrate on getting proper language support on *all* devices for
    > our languages, and not get distracted by Latin.

    We will do that, but there are always locales and people who want
    to read emails, .. in Roman letters & that population is growing.
    Inputting is via Roman, anyways.

    Also, ISO 15919 has an important place for internal processing in
    Indian eGov DB. Glad that ISO 15919 is available in Windows 7 and
    Mac OS already.

    NG