Re: preparing a PUA specification (for historical Polish text)

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 02:30:28 CDT

    Hello,

    I think it would be a good idea to contact MUFI and ask whether they'd
    include these characters. They share a lot with them in common, even
    though they must be considered early modern instead of late mediaeval.

    BTW, I think your combining "small EZH as combining character" can be
    considered a variant of the COMBINING CEDILLE, or to be more exact, it
    _is_ a CEDILLE, and the orthography specifies it's placement for D, D
    WITH ACUTE and R (slightly more to the right than to the center),
    which does not even conflict as (an actual)* cedille is note employed
    for these letters otherwise; the CEDILLE itself is a little Z
    (zed-ille 'little Zed'), which was commonly written in the ezh form
    historically.

    /Szabolcs
    ____
    * what is called "R WITH CEDILLE" in Unicode is actually an "R WITH
    COMMA BELOW", as is the case with the other Lithuanian G WITH CEDILLE,
    L WITH CEDILLE, K WITH CEDILLE. It just has not been insisted on, as
    with Romanian, to separate the two distinct concepts of cedille and
    comma below.

    --
    Szelp, André Szabolcs
    +43 (650) 79 22 400