cedille in Polish (was: preparing a PUA specification (for historical Polish text))

From: Janusz S. Bieñ (jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl)
Date: Sat Apr 17 2010 - 13:12:12 CDT

    On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 André Szabolcs Szelp <a.sz.szelp@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I think it would be a good idea to contact MUFI and ask whether they'd
    > include these characters. They share a lot with them in common, even
    > though they must be considered early modern instead of late mediaeval.
    >
    > BTW, I think your combining "small EZH as combining character" can be
    > considered a variant of the COMBINING CEDILLE, or to be more exact, it
    > _is_ a CEDILLE, and the orthography specifies it's placement for D, D
    > WITH ACUTE and R (slightly more to the right than to the center),
    > which does not even conflict as (an actual)* cedille is note employed
    > for these letters otherwise; the CEDILLE itself is a little Z
    > (zed-ille 'little Zed'), which was commonly written in the ezh form
    > historically.
    >
    > /Szabolcs

    Thanks for reminding me the origin of cedille. If Wikipedia is
    correct, it's original shape

             http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Visigothic_Z-C_cedille.png

    is identical to that used in Polish.

    I will follow your advice.

    Best regards

    JSB

    P.S. My apology for my recent silence. I was abroad on a meeting which
    appeared more busy than expected and despite the Internet access I was
    unable to come back to the topic earlier. I hope to catch up with the
    discussion soon.

    --
                         ,
    dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)