Re: Do non-positional number systems present security issues?

From: Mark Davis ☕ (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Fri Apr 16 2010 - 12:41:55 CDT

    Yes, the characters with Nd are by design those that can be used with
    "normal" big-endian positional decimal syntax. whereby a sequence of such
    digits {N0, N1, N2, ...Nn} has the numeric value (...(N0 * 10 + N1) * 10 +
    N2) * 10 ... + Nn)

    Numeric characters that are peculiar in some fashion, and cannot simply be
    interpreted in the above fashion, are marked as numbers, but not Nd. Here is
    the list, grouped by General Category:

    http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=\p{n}&g=gc

    and by General Category then Numeric Value:

    http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=\p{n}&g=gc+nv

    Note that for security, implementations may want to put a further
    restriction on sequences of Nd, so as to not mix scripts. Other measures may
    also be needed, to detect problems like ৪৭, which looks like 89 (if you have
    the font), but is actually 47 written in Bengali digits. For more info, see
    UTS #36 (see proposed version at
    http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/proposed.html).

    If there are any discrepancies in the properties of the above characters,
    those can be brought to the attention of the UTC using the reporting form
    (the next meeting is in May).

    Mark

    — Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —