Re: preparing a PUA specification (for historical Polish text)

From: André Szabolcs Szelp (a.sz.szelp@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2010 - 03:28:04 CDT

    2010/4/12 Kent Karlsson <kent.karlsson14@comhem.se>:

    >> * what is called "R WITH CEDILLE" in Unicode is actually an "R WITH
    >> COMMA BELOW", as is the case with the other Lithuanian G WITH CEDILLE,
    >> L WITH CEDILLE, K WITH CEDILLE. It just has not been insisted on, as
    >> with Romanian, to separate the two distinct concepts of cedille and
    >> comma below.
    >
    > However, the canonical decomposition of them involve U+0327, COMBINING
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Interpreting *some* of them as if they instead had a canonical decomposition
    > involving
    > U+0326, COMBINING COMMA BELOW, seems less than ideal...

    One might consider adding corresponding
    K WITH COMMA BELOW
    G WITH COMMA BELOW
    L WITH COMMA BELOW
    R WITH COMMA BELOW
    with corresponding canonical decompositions, updating the reference
    glyphs for the existing WITH CEDILLA ones, and recommending using the
    new (comma) ones for Lithuanian.

    I do firmly believe that this would be desirable from a theoretical
    encoding point of view. However, from a practical point of view,
    knowing the issues involved with Romanian and without sponsorship by
    an official Lithuanian body, unfortunately, this is clearly
    infeasible.

    /Szabolcs