Re: [indic] Halant - can it be called a "Linguistic Zero" (Panini)?

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 14:23:50 CDT

    On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:39 PM, JAGANADH G <jaganadhg@gmail.com> wrote:

    > The same thing I am asking. What is linguistic zero ?!

    The concept of lopa in Panini has given birth to "linguistic zero" in modern
    Linguistics.

    > Some where in your mail I saw 'Panini'. Are you referring to the aphorism
    > "upəd̪ɛːɕɛː ən̪t̪jəm ɦəlit̪sjaːt̪" ?
    > If so how it becomes a linguistic zero

    'adarshanam lopah' (P. 1.1.60) - disappearance of a sound or morpheme.
    lopa = elision, deletion, cutting off etc.,

    The halant mark (e.g. puLLi in Tamil attested in First century CE in
    Satavahana coinage)
    does the function of linguistic zeroing, i.e., deleting /a/ in an aksharam.

    N. Ganesan