RE: Nonspacing marks and the no-break space

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2010 - 16:22:56 CDT

Hi, Andreas!
From: Andreas Prilop (prilop4321@trashmail.net)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2010 - 09:49:26 CDT
> Sections 2.11 and 7.9 of the Unicode Standard state that
> nonspacing combining marks shall be combined with the
> no-break space U+00A0 in order to show them in isolation.
> Internet Explorer 7 did so for HTML documents.

> It seems to me that Internet Explorer 8 does not combine
> the no-break space with at least Arabic nonspacing marks.
> The following two lines should have the same length:

> Ç ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò ò òÇ
Ç Ç

> If I'm not mistaken you can check this with a webbrowser at
> http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2010-m04/0063.html

> Can you confirm this behaviour and perhaps give an explanation?
Your lines are the same length in notepad but not always in ie8;
they are different lengths when I view your message online
at the url http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2010-m04/0063.html
however they are the same length when I view them in my email program (rich text?)

sorry I took so long to get back!
Someone else will have to answer the rest of your questions;
I'm just providing viewer data.
Best,
C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com