Re: Hexadecimal digits

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 06:32:06 CDT

    Hello Luke-Jr,

    you’ve been asking:
    > Are there any hexadecimal digits in Unicode?

    Simply use the digits “0” through “9”, and the
    letters “A” through “F”; cf.
    <http://www.unicode.org/faq/casemap_charprop.html#13>.

    > For example, perhaps the digits used for John W. Nystrom's Tonal System?

    I had to consult:
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Nystrom#Tonal_System_.28Hexadecimal.29>,
    to learn about this system.

    Apparently, Nystrom's Digits for “9” through “F” are
    not encoded in Unicode,
    cf. <http://www.unicode.org/charts/#symbols>.

    I do not know, how successful Nystrom’s proposal has been,
    and I cannot assess whether his digits deserve to be
    encoded, in Unicode. If you think, these digits need
    to be encoded, you are free to propose that; for the
    procedure required,
    cf. <http://www.unicode.org/faq/char_proposal.html>.

    In any case, it would be problematic to unify Nystrom’s “9”
    through “F” cannot be unified with Unicode “9”, “A” through
    “F” (treating them as a glyph-variation, and font-selection,
    issue), for two reasons:
    • Unicode “A” through “F” are also used for spelling ordinary
       words; this would not be feasable with Nystrom’s glyphs;
    • Nystrom’s digit “A” looks exactly as the common, decimal
       digit “9”, which would render any special Nystrom font
       rather misleading to the reader.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz