Re: Hexadecimal digits

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 19:41:37 CDT

    Hi I tend to agree with the arguments of Doug and Hans.
    From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
    Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 14:35:15 CDT

    > "Luke-Jr" <luke at dashjr dot org> wrote:

    >> Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be
    >> denied unique characters?

    > The Roman numeral characters starting at U+2160 are compatibility
    > characters. They exist in Unicode only because they existed in one or
    > more of the other character sets used as a source for Unicode, so data
    > can be converted between Unicode and the other set without loss.

    > People aren't encouraged to use the special Roman numeral characters,
    > but rather to write Roman numerals using Basic Latin letters. And yes,
    > that means the string "mix" out of context could be an ordinary English
    > word or the Roman representation of decimal 1,009. Plain text is full
    > of things that get resolved by rudimentary context. Hexadecimal numbers
    > are like that.
    Yes, thanks, my feelings.

    From: Hans Aberg (haberg-1@telia.com)
    Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 16:45:57 CDT

    > On 4 Jun 2010, at 20:39, Luke-Jr wrote:

    >> Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should
    >> base 16 be
    >> denied unique characters?

    > Anyway, if you can show these John Nystrom Tonal System glyphs have
    > been in textual use, perhaps they should be encoded.
    Thanks. That's if they have been in textual use -- and sorry; I think it's necessary to use the characters you have developed in a small circle first somehow, then to propose their encoding in the unicode character sets.

    Best wishes in any case,

    C. E. Whitehead
    cewcathar@hotmail.com