Re: Writing a proposal for an unusual script: SignWriting

From: Joó Ádám (ceriak@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2010 - 06:25:15 CDT

    Sorry for my ignorance but I haven’t found any reasoning for the
    existence of SignWriting. In my understanding sign languages are meant
    to bridge the gap in communication of individuals, at least one of
    which is unable to either speak or hear the sounds of a spoken
    language. At the same time I cannot see how could it be a problem to
    just use the same spoken language’s written form when communication
    takes place in printed media.

    I know that it is not Unicode’s responsibility to justify any of the
    scripts it includes, as far as there is a significant user base that
    demands encoding, but I would still be curious if someone could shed
    some light on this matter.

    Regards,
    Ádám