Re: Writing a proposal for an unusual script: SignWriting

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2010 - 07:31:30 CDT

    On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Joó Ádám <ceriak@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Sorry for my ignorance but I haven’t found any reasoning for the
    > existence of SignWriting. In my understanding sign languages are meant
    > to bridge the gap in communication of individuals, at least one of
    > which is unable to either speak or hear the sounds of a spoken
    > language. At the same time I cannot see how could it be a problem to
    > just use the same spoken language’s written form when communication
    > takes place in printed media.

    Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't found any reasoning for the
    existence of written Hungarian. In my understanding Hungarian is meant
    to bridge the gap in communication of individuals, at least one of
    which is unable to either speak or hear English. At the same time I
    cannot see how could it be a problem to just use English's written
    form when communication takes place in printed media.

    English is not their first language; sign language is. The fact that
    they may learn English as a second language is no different than a
    large part of the rest of the world who have to learn a second
    language to communicate with people away from home; they still may
    want to write in their native tongue, not that second language.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.