Re: [unicode] Japanese Script

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Thu Jun 24 2010 - 21:33:12 CDT

    Hi,

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:37:28 -0700
    Tulasi <tulasird@gmail.com> wrote:
    >Domo arigatto Suzuki-san!

    You're welcome, I've not solved your issue yet :-)

    >Actually I am trying to define current Japanese-script set.

    >Script by definition - a style of printed letters/symbols that
    >resemble traditional handwriting.

    Can I understand as post-typographic era, from your word
    "current"? The glyph shape of Japanese handwriting had
    changed very much between pre-typographic educated people
    and post-typographic educated people.

    >Any letter/symbol that does not resemble traditional Japanese
    >handwriting may not be part of Japanese-script.
    >
    >Thus, Thai Arabic Malayalam etc does not qualify to be part of
    >Japanese-script set.

    OK, I see.

    >However, Hiragana Katakana and some Kanji-symbols are 3 distinct
    >subsets of Japanese-script set.

    Excuse me, do you mean CJK Ideograph by "Kanji-symbols"?
    Or, kanji and symbols?

    >How can I see all letters/symbols where each letter/symbol has
    >JAPANESE in its name?

    I guess your request as following:

      If we see ISO/IEC 10646 or Unicode specification and the list
      of character name, usually, the name of character includes the
      word to indicate the name of script, aslike, "0E01 THAI CHARACTER KO KAI".
      So, searching "THAI CHARACTER" is good to figure the Unicode
      subset for Thai script users.

      But, if we search "JAPANESE CHARACTER", it is difficult to
      figure Unicode subset for Japanese script users, because
      even Hiragana, Katakana don't include "JAPANESE CHARACTER" in
      their name. So, how to we figure out the subset?

    If my guessing is wrong, please correct me and ignore following.

    --
    If I'm forced to refer anything for official, I recommend
    Japanese domestic industrial standard for coded character
    sets: JIS X 0208 or JIS X 0213. The number of codepoints
    are smaller than the number of glyphs in Adobe-Japan1.
    They can be red on JISC website:
      http://www.jisc.go.jp/app/JPS/JPSO0020.html
    But, this website is designed to send un-savable PDF to
    the client (making a local copy, printing, etc, all
    activities are disabled, except of viewing on PC), so
    some environment cannot display the data.
    Or, if you care the only the codepoint sets for Japanese script
    users, and no care about the shape of the glyph in detail,
      ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/OBSOLETE/EASTASIA/JIS/
    may help you. However, as the URL says, it is obsoleted,
    the mapping between Unicode and JIS X 0213 is not provided.
    Unihan database provides the mapping information, so you can
    guess the subset of CJK Unified Ideograph, but no info for
    Hiragana, Katakana, Punctuations and Symbols.
    Regards,
    mpsuzuki