Re: Draft Proposal to encode the English Phonotypic Alphabet

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2010 - 13:26:44 CDT

    Am Mittwoch, 30. Juni 2010 um 18:26 schrieb Mark Davis ☕
     (re http://www.pentzlin.com/EPA_Proposal_Draft1.pdf )

    MD> A couple of very quick comments.
    >> A special phenomenon of EPA is that the combination of upper and lower
    >> case letters is peculiar in EPA, and changes between the different EPA stages.
    MD> The committee decided that any further special casing should be
    MD> handled in CLDR, you'd want a proposal to that group. For that to
    MD> be done, you'd need first to propose a BCP47 variant to indicate
    MD> EPA English. This would all be done well after the encoding were accepted.

    If I understand this correct, this means:
    - In the proposal itself, I have to list the special casings for having
      them fully documented, but do not need to mention the Unicode data
      file "special-casing.txt".
    - Then, I can sumbit the proposal.
    - Then, if and after the proposal is accepted by UTC, I have to propose four
      variants of English for inclusion into the CLDR according to the
      four states with different case pairing:
      en EPA_1847
      en EPA_1852
      en EPA_1860
      en EPA_1868
      and, especially, only then I have to learn about the CLDR details
      how to do this and how to include the special case pairing.
    Is this the correct way?

    Also, if variants of English are to be included into the CLDR that
    way, are these four states sufficient, or have the changes of the
    meanings of some letters (i.e. the mapping to the units which then
    were recognized as the "sounds" of English) to be regarded (as these
    mappings affect the accomplishment of correct searching results)?