Re: Bengali Script

From: Mahesh T. Pai (paivakil@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2010 - 23:35:51 CDT

    Tulasi said on Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 06:20:57PM -0700,:

    > One standard comes from Government of Bangladesh (GOB) and the other
    > from West Bengal Government (WBG).

    1. I guessyou are speaking of language standards. If you had paid
       attention to what has been told to you so far, the Unicode standard
       is about scripts.

    2. Those "standards", are not mutually exclusive.

    3. There is a publication from the Government of India on the subject.
        Please Search for the phrase "TDIL vishwa bharat" in your
        favourite search engine. (no, not the one which searches contents
        of your hard disk).

    > Why don't we ask both GOB and WBG to send the list letters/symbols
    > including cascaded conjuncts as per each standard?

    > I think each standard "letters/symbols including cascaded conjuncts"
    > will fit into A4 JPG image.

    If I understand things, the Unicode standard for the Bangla (that is
    what the Government of India calls it) language is reasonably matured,
    and people use it, without complaint.

    > "Bengali" does not look like an English name, but could be Englo-Indian

    Does it matter?

    --
    Mahesh T. Pai