Re: charset parameter in Google Groups

From: Mark Crispin (mrc+unicode@panda.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2010 - 21:50:35 CDT

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > Traditionally, the MIME types are only given in lowercase, so if you
    > had written "text/plain; charset=windows-1252", it would have been
    > orrectly detected.

    Nonsense. Pure, unadulterated nonsense.

    I helped write the MIME RFCs, and I can assure you that uppercase MIME
    types are permitted and used by long-standing production software.

    > I don't know which strange email program you use that generates this
    > form of MIME types, even if they should be interpreted ignoring case.

    At least one standard email programs used by millions of users does
    uppercase for the MIME types.

    > [Nonsensical and irrelevant babble about Windows-1252 deleted]

    Software that does not recognize ISO-8859-15 is broken.

    -- Mark --

    http://panda.com/mrc
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.