Re: [indic] Indian Rupee symbol

From: Tulasi (tulasird@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 05:37:22 CDT

    Really quick! Like war time :-')
    How long it took for you to write this proposal?
    And what time have you uploaded to
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/ ?

    Nice job!

    Tulasi

    From: Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>
    Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:24:50 +0100
    Subject: Re: [indic] Indian Rupee symbol
    <unicode@unicode.org>

    I am writing up the proposal to encode it.

    From: Michael Everson <everson@evertype.com>
    Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:34:24 +0100
    <unicode@unicode.org>

    A proposal to add the character to the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC
    10646 was published yesterday. See
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3862.pdf

    I have asked the representatives of the Government of India to the
    Consortium if they would like to revise the proposal into a joint
    India/Ireland proposal, but in case there could be delays because of
    the bureaucracy, I thought it was important to get the standardization
    process started as soon as possible. It should be a matter of urgency
    that a stable code position be selected for this new character lest a
    variety of non-standard practices be adopted.

    The EURO SIGN, some of you may remember, was similarly urgent. And
    subsequently currency signs like the Ukrainian HRYVNIA SIGN and Kazakh
    TENGE SIGN were created. For those last two, there seems to have been
    no consideration taken of matters of computer encoding. At least in
    the Indian Press they are talking about Unicode and fonts and
    keyboards. :-)