Re: [indic] Indian Rupee symbol

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2010 - 02:34:24 CDT

    A proposal to add the character to the Unicode Standard and ISO/IEC 10646 was published yesterday. Seehttp://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3862.pdf

    I have asked the representatives of the Government of India to the Consortium if they would like to revise the proposal into a joint India/Ireland proposal, but in case there could be delays because of the bureaucracy, I thought it was important to get the standardization process started as soon as possible. It should be a matter of urgency that a stable code position be selected for this new character lest a variety of non-standard practices be adopted.

    The EURO SIGN, some of you may remember, was similarly urgent. And subsequently currency signs like the Ukrainian HRYVNIA SIGN and Kazakh TENGE SIGN were created. For those last two, there seems to have been no consideration taken of matters of computer encoding. At least in the Indian Press they are talking about Unicode and fonts and keyboards. :-)