Re: Indian Rupee Sign (U+20B9) proposal

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2010 - 16:27:16 CDT

    "Luke-Jr" <luke at dashjr dot org> wrote:

    >>> Already, fonts with Rupee symbol in MS Word
    >>> are released, and becoming popular:
    >>> http://blog.foradian.com/rupee-font-version-20
    >>
    >> This is a bad decision. Font designers need to cool their heels and
    >> wait until the symbol and code point are approved.
    >
    > Unicode requires use before approving new symbols, so "bad decision"
    > or not, Unicode forces it. I haven't got around to making a font with
    > the Tonal digits yet, but what other choice do I have to ever get them
    > added to Unicode? Use paper for everything?

    1. There is a proposal before WG2 to encode the symbol at U+20B9; see
    http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n3862.pdf . The stated support of
    the Indian government for this symbol will likely be a significant
    contributing factor to the approval of this proposal, just as the
    support of the EU contributed toward getting U+20AC EURO SIGN encoded in
    advance of actual demonstrated use. This might be useful to consider
    for those who harbor doubts that this symbol will be encoded in
    Unicode/10646.

    2. For the Nystrom hexadecimal digits, there are Private Use Areas in
    Unicode/10646 from U+E000 to U+F8FF, from U+F0000 to U+FFFFD, and from
    U+100000 to U+10FFFD which can be used effectively and conformantly to
    encode any symbols you like. You can then build a font, develop a
    keyboard input method, publish a private agreement that describes the
    association between your PUA code points and the Nystrom digits, and
    happily exchange these symbols with anyone who shares your interest and
    dedication.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­