Re: Bengali Script

From: Tulasi (tulasird@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 00:57:23 CDT

    Doug -->
    When speaking in English, in the United States, would you say...
    1. Kolkata or Calcutta?

    By citing "Kolkata or Calcutta" Doug highlighted a phenomenal vowel
    phoneme behaviour for human being.

    I will let you think what it is, and discover :-')

    The original word before Calcutta was "kalikātā" or "calikātā"
    (k/c what you prefer to use like Electronic / Elaktronik)

    Calcutta initially never sounded like how it sounds in American today.

    Call + Cutting -> Call + Cutta -> Calcutta
    (so do you get how to read Calcutta correctly)
    Cal here Sanskritized exactly Call or "kal" Cutta is "kātā" so
    Calcutta = "kalkātā"

    Since British India to today Bengali lost hundreds of words that ends
    with Sanskrit first vowel and transposed to vowel "o" probably 12th
    vowel.

    see the path
    "kalikātā" --> "kalkātā" (English Calcutta) --> "kolkātā" (English Kolkata)
    Since 18 century to date

    Iṅgreji --> Speaking English in current Bengali
    Iṅgliṣ --> Speaking English in probably South Indian language
    Oṅreji --> Speaking English probably in North Indian language

    You see that in above too, the alteration is vowel phoneme.

    Now have I given you enough clue how to discover what is causing this
    phenomenal vowel pattern?

    Tulasi