? Reasonable to propose stability policy on numeric type = decimal

From: karl williamson (public@khwilliamson.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2010 - 14:34:50 CDT

    What would the problems be of having a stability policy in regards to
    assigning characters to have numeric type = decimal, something like the
    following:

    "New scripts or forms (like mathematical mono space) that have decimal
    numbers will be assigned so that those decimal numbers occupy at least
    10 contiguous code points such that the code point for DIGIT ONE = 1 +
    the code point for DIGIT ZERO, etc.

    "If there is the slightest possibility that there may eventually be
    multiple characters that are decimal digits in the script or form,
    several contiguous unassigned code points will be initially reserved
    immediately after the DIGIT NINE code point for use in that contingency,
    if at all practicable. In any event, new multiple code points in that
    script or form that may be assigned later will have a code point that is
    higher than the code point for DIGIT NINE, and will be assigned as close
    as possible to the group of 10 that are initially assigned."

    This would help my implementation of converting strings into numbers
    while not allowing mixed scripts (or forms) in them. I believe that the
    current data follows this policy. It would be nice if it were made
    explicit. U+19DA (NEW TAI LUE THAM DIGIT ONE) is the one current case
    where there is more than one digit with the same meaning in a script or
    form. I presume this is an anomaly that is not likely to be repeated,
    but would have been accommodated by the above policy. I presume it was
    just lucky that when this character came to light there was an
    unassigned code point available just after the DIGIT NINE.