RE: Reasonable to propose stability policy on numeric type = decimal

From: John Dlugosz (JDlugosz@tradestation.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2010 - 10:36:57 CDT

    > I'm considering extending an existing computer programming language
    > which currently only understands numbers composed solely by the ASCII
    > numbers to also understand those from other scripts. I'm not going to
    > do it unless it is easy within the existing implementation (not some
    > theoretical better implementation) and efficient and not a security
    > threat.

    I can imagine supporting national representations for numbers for outputting reports, but I don't imagine anyone writing in a programming language would be compelled to type 四佰六十 instead of 560. It's more like an English speaker spelling out the words. Notice that it's not just digits, but contains explicit powers and no zero. There are also variations used for writing checks, so they are still "scattered".

    I can imagine wanting to write in-language numbers for writing headings, for example, and would want software to understand they are numbers and not opaque labels. That usage would include roman numerals too. So I can certainly see uses for a "string to value" library function that worked with all manners of national digits and the ways in which those digits are actually used -- not just transliterating to modern international notation.

    --John

    TradeStation Group, Inc. is a publicly-traded holding company (NASDAQ GS: TRAD) of three operating subsidiaries, TradeStation Securities, Inc. (Member NYSE, FINRA, SIPC and NFA), TradeStation Technologies, Inc., a trading software and subscription company, and TradeStation Europe Limited, a United Kingdom, FSA-authorized introducing brokerage firm. None of these companies provides trading or investment advice, recommendations or endorsements of any kind. The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.